Holga DSLR & Macro Experiments

Hey all,

Yes, the Holga experiments continue, but in an entirely different direction from the Crystal Holga...which has been getting rave reviews in Hollywood clubland, but that's a subject for a future date. I was recently inspired by some pictures that a photographer made using a Holga DSLR lens combined with Holga Close-Up and Macro lens attachments. The results were quite remarkable, so I decided to take a whack it it myself. The following pictures are only first attempts, but I'm encouraged enough to want to play with this new technique some more in the future. No, it doesn't produce the light leaks that a regular Holga 120N film camera does, but I'm certainly pleased with the results nonetheless.

Some extreme close-ups of the Crystal Holga. As you can see, the Macro Lens' resolution is actually pretty damned good.




Tiny anime and kaiju eiga figures, ranging from 1 1/2 inches to 3 inches tall(!). The detail is quite impressive for a pair of plastic lenses.

Tachikoma from Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex.


Mogera from The Mysterians (R) and King Ghidorah in the background.



Butterflies in the L.A. History Museum's Butterfly Arburetum. I was particularly impressed with some of the results I got here, since butterflies very often don't exactly perform on cue when you want them to!




Lazy grasshopper. This guy was actually about three inches long.


More examples can be found in my Pbase galleries, and on my Facebook account. As you can see, I'm quite intrigued by the possibilities that this combinations could provide. More experiments are definitely in order. Stay tuned...

Comments

  1. aloha michael! i love the close-ups fr the holga, pretty amazing! do you have any affordable underwater digital cameras for me? i snorkel every w/e and see such pretty fish and beautiful honus swim by... i miss u & la, i'll come back & visit soon!
    hugs&smiles fr kihei-maui, liezl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts