Updates for Spring 2013

Hello folks,

Yes, it's been another very VERY long break between posts here on this blog, and a lot has happened during that time period.  Here's a very bare-bones update on what's taken place since last August:

For the second time, I've been laid off by Freestyle Photographic Supplies, which means I no longer have to get up at 6:00 AM for the privilege of driving down to Santa Fe Springs every weekday.  Yeah, I'm really, really heartbroken over this...I mean, with more time to pursue my photo career, upgrade my software skills and finish my rave photo book, just what's a guy supposed to do???

Here's one thing: go to Winter Music Conference in Miami to plug the hell out of said photo book. I managed to do this almost two weeks ago, and let me tell you, I don't think I've worked any harder during WMC than I did this year.  I was literally pounding the South Beach pavement almost non-stop for four days, but I think it was very much worth it.  I made a lot of new connections this year (always one of the points of a giant network-fest like WMC), and just may have drummed up some support of some kind for the book.  We shall see how this all turns out later this year...

...when the book is supposed to be published, and by myself.  Yes, after spending over a year trying to land a publisher for the book, I've finally realized that that scenario just isn't going to play out.  These publishers are for the most part clueless about electronic music & how to market it...in fact, I literally read "We don't know how to market this" in one of my many rejection letters. *SIGH*. Well, to hell with it.  I have decided to fund this book later in the year via Kickstarter, and will be published at about the end of the year.  AND...we finally have a title.  Yes, after literally hundreds of ideas, suggestions and more than a few outright idiotic notions, I have settled on a sort of hybrid title...it's a mash-up of two earlier title ideas.  The book is going to be called:

DANCEFLOOR THUNDERSTORM: Land Of The Free, Home Of The Rave

Not bad, huh?  And just in case you're curious, I've built a new section to my web site featuring the book and providing some details about it...just to whet the public's appetite. :)  Here's the link to that:

http://www.michaeltullberg.com/ravebook/


Still plugging away for Getty Images, as always. Aside from that, the other thing I've been doing as of late is downsizing...more free time on your hands makes one realize just how much crap one can accumulate.  Thank God for Ebay so that at least I can get some resale value out of some of this old stuff I never use.  Oh, and speaking of old stuff, there's a chance that I might be appearing on "Antiques Road Show" when it comes to Anaheim--it's a slim chance to be sure, but it's there nonetheless!  Keeping my fingers crossed for this one...

More to come, I promise.  Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts