Dick Clark

The great Dick Clark passed away early this morning, and having worked on a couple of his productions so many years ago, I couldn't help but think about Dick today. No, I wasn't working as a photographer, in case you're curious...I was a production assistant on both the American Music Awards and the Cable Ace Awards, waaaaayyyy back in '92 or '93. I still have my crew laminates somewhere...I should dig those up.

Anyway, sadly I never met Dick in person, but I can tell you that his company's productions ran like clockwork. I learned a lot of valuable production experience from working for Dick Clark Productions, and had some great moments as well. I remember in particular working the after-party for the AMAs, where I had the chance to get caught in the middle of James Brown, MC Hammer, Evander Holyfield, Bel Biv DeVoe (remember them?) and their massive entourages. Oh, and I had to tell them to move away from the entrances or the Fire Marshal was gonna shut the party down. Let me ask you: are you going to tell the heavyweight champion of the world and the Godfather of Soul that they have to move? Of course not, and neither did I...I had the smarts to convince Bel Biv DeVoe to tell them. ;^)

Anyway, God bless you, Dick. You did a great service to both rock & roll and television, and that, as anyone in show business will tell you, ain't easy. At least you've got a solid gig now on "Heavenly Bandstand", or at least "God's Favorite Bloopers & Practical Jokes".

(Not that God produces any bloopers...)

Comments

Popular Posts