VIPER ROOM MEMORIES, PART ONE

 For a three-year period, from 1999 through 2002, the legendary Sunset Strip watering hole the Viper Room hosted an electronic music club within its walls on Tuesday nights. Dubbed "Atmosphere", the club was the brainchild of Mick Cole of the Bud Brothers Monday Social, and his promoting partner Julien Couley. Together, they made Atmosphere the best Tuesday night out, of any kind of entertainment in L.A. The cozy and intimate nature of the Viper Room allowed the biggest superstar DJs in the world--artists who normally would headline festivals--to play in front of small audiences of 300+ people. And as it turned out, through Mick and Julien, I got to know Sal Jenco, the co-runner of the Viper Room by virtue of being Johnny Depp's business partner. Sal and I hit it off quickly, and this resulted in me having pretty much free reign within the place, which was extremely rare for photographers at the time. The staff quickly realized that I wasn't all that interested in their celebrity clientele, and that I was a good guy who wasn't going to go out of my way to antagonize people. So, we got along great. I remember the feeling of being a real VIP when I would show up unannounced, cameras dangling from my shoulders, and waltzing past the long line of people waiting to get in, straight up to Casper, the head of security, who'd give me a high-five as I entered...right under the big sign on the wall that said "NO CAMERAS ALLOWED".

These are just a few of the hundreds of images that I shot in there, and I think they help capture the amazing atmosphere that we enjoyed at the time. It was the peak of the American rave revolution, at the point where the underground and the mainstream scenes began to intersect.

More to come later. In the meantime, enjoy.


DJ Rap

DJs Taylor and John Digweed

John Kelley

Josh Wink

Barry Ashworth of the Dub Pistols

Dave Ralph and Paul Oakenfold




Jumping Jack Frost

Sasha

Goldie

Ken Jordan of The Crystal Method




Sal Jenko
 
Richie Hawtin


Comments

Popular Posts