I love getting new photo gear

I've been particularly stoked the last few days, even if they've been spent on some rather pointless shoots for Getty. I'm stoked because the new equipment I recently ordered from Nikon has begun arriving, piece by piece. I'm particularly happy to have received the Nikon D700 camera body--yes, I'm finally going full-frame for my digital work! This means that very soon I'll finally be able to retire my D200, which has served me well but is getting a bit long in the tooth. I suppose I'll use it for my personal stuff from now on. The D700 is so far above it--especially in low-light shooting capabilities--that it doesn't make much sense for me to keep using it professionally.


I also just recently received Nikon's SB-900 Speedlight, which will be a welcome replacement for the one I lost at Coachella earlier this year. I have two more items on their way: a 24/70mm f/2.8 zoom lens, and a fixed 16mm f/2.8 fisheye. This should be enough to get me going on the D700 for the time being, though more lenses for it are definitely on the books for the future. Of course, I'm also going to be needing new software, and most likely a new computer soon as well--such is the nature of the ever-changing world of digital photography. I was able to get all this gear at a really sweet discount too, thanks to Nikon's Employee Purchase Program...one of the perks of working at a Nikon dealer! Needless to say, I'm going to have a lot of fun breaking all this stuff in.


Most likely going to be doing the Nocturnal Festival this weekend, if I'm not assigned to shoot KROQ's Epicenter show. We shall see...

Comments

Popular Posts