Cypress Hill Smoke-Out, 2010 Edition





Hello, all! Well, this posting may come as a bit of a surprise to some of you, but in light of my participation in the 2010 edition of the Cypress Hill Smoke-Out, I suppose I should reveal that this is a sort of re-convening between Guerilla Union (the Smoke-Out's producers) and myself. You see, I actually shot the first six Smoke-Outs as part of the crew, because back in those days the Smoke-Out was in part a product of Insider Magazine, which I was a staff photographer and writer for. Thus, I crewed on the first six Smoke-Outs, and the one that occurred last year was the only one I didn't participate in. So, when I put out feelers to my old colleagues at GU, I was happy when they accepted me back into the fold, so to speak. As usual, it was a marathon--but what all-day, all-night festival isn't, hmmm?

.

I was hired to shoot the acts in the Stoned Garden Tent (meaning dance music tent), which meant I got to shoot the likes of DJs Muggs, Reza, Dan Black, Chuckie, Basement Jaxx, MGMT, my friend Paul Oakenfold and Deadmau5. This was a real long haul: after arriving at 9:30, I made my way over to the stage, and over the course of the next 14 hours (12:00 PM to 2:00 AM!), I shot all of the acts listed above, plus loads of candids from the attendees. For those of you eager enough to keep reading, here are some of the moments that I managed to capture from the evening:
.


Deadmau5:





Paul Oakenfold:



MGMT:






Basement Jaxx:



Chuckie:




DJ Reza:


DJ Muggs (Cypress Hill):


In spite of the usual issues associated with a gig like this (fatigue, security, bands' management, etc.), it was still a good gig to work on. Hopefully more collaborations with Guerilla Union will be in the works in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts